Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Service Learning Report, September 3, 2015

Learning about the outdoor cob oven.
We helped move a solar food
dehydrated to the roof.
I really enjoyed service learning! When we got there, we were welcomed by Tom Benevento, one of the leaders of New Community Project. We then sat around a newly furnished fire pit and learned about what they do and what we think some issues are in our day and age. We learned about Permaculture, and what we can do to do help our community and our world. After talking we got a tour. I think all the food that they grow, especially the Asian pears, arevery good. The underground greenhouse is also REALLY cool. I like the houses where we met one of the refugee families. I thought the house where the neighborhood kids were having music class was very interesting to see. Over all, I thought it was fun and educational and I can't wait to go back.

By Emma, grade 7

Note: Each Thursday morning, weather permitting, Mrs. Yutzy accompanies a group of around 8 students in 7th grade to help at Spring Village, a New Community Project site. At EMMS, we believe strongly in the benefits of service. Through hands-on opportunities such as these, we believe that acts of service can influence and shape students’ lives by instilling a sense of gratitude for what they have and by helping them understand more about the world around them. For more information about our Middle School Service Learning, contact yutzyr@emhs.net.


No comments:

Post a Comment